County Clerk Recorded Information
All real property records such as deeds, mortgages, releases, covenants, notary bonds and others are placed as permanent record and are open to the public.
This office also records military discharge papers upon request, which are not open to the public.
Birth certificates and death certificates are recorded at the state level by the Vital Records Division of the Wyoming Department of Health. Vital records can be contacted by calling: (307) 777-7591.
Requirements for recording a document
- The document must be an original or certified copy.
- A copy cannot be recorded.
- Up to legal size (8 1/2” X 14”); no additional fees based on the size of the paper.
- May be double-sided; however, each side counts as a page to calculate fees.
- All documents must be acknowledged (notarized) in accordance with Wyoming law.
- While cover letters are not required, they are appreciated as they contain excellent contact information which is very helpful to the staff.
- A Wyoming Statement of Consideration disclosing the financial information of the transaction must accompany each deed submitted for recording. It’s the buyer’s responsibility to fully complete the statement which is a confidential document used by the county assessor to determine market value of all property in the county. More information on Statements of Considerations and a downloadable form is available by accessing the state of Wyoming’s Website at http://taxappeals.state.wy.us
- Documents must be clearly readable and reproducible.
- Proper fees must accompany any recording. Fees are set by Wyoming statute: https://wyoleg.gov/NXT/gateway.dll/2019Statutes/Titles/1027/1034/1038?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=Publish:10.1048/Enu
- Any Instrument First Page: $12.00
- Each Additional Page: $3.00
- More than 5 grantor or grantees of a different surname-each additional: $1.00
- More than ten sections, 1/4, 1/4 sections, blocks or tract descriptions-each additional: $1.00
- More than 2 release of mortgages listed on document-each additional: $2.00
- Certification: $3.00 (applicable copy fees will be added)
- Copy of Public Record: $0.35
- If you have a document with multiple legal descriptions to record, contact our office for guidance on fees that will be due when recording.
- We do not give legal advice.
- We recommend seeking an attorney for document preparation. We do not advise as to what document to file or what should be included in the body of the document. We only determine whether or not it is in recordable order.
- We can provide you local title company names and phone numbers for researching purposes and can assist you in using our resources, however, we are not bonded to do extensive research
ALL RECORDS NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE
We are thrilled to announce that our entire vault is now available digitally. You will now be able to do all of your research from the comfort of your office or home using our ARCASearch e-commerce site for all tract/abstract books and all public recorded documents prior to January 1976 and our iDoc Market site for all abstract information from January 2020 to present including all recorded documents from 1976 to present.
During normal business hours both the ArcaSearch and iDoc sites will be available free of charge on the computers in our vault. All books will also remain accessible free of charge during normal business hours.
Beginning July 1, 2021 we no longer hand abstract in our track and subdivision books.
Please see below for a more detailed description of each site and links for use.
ArcaSearch Historical Records Research Site
This site is available for a nominal daily, monthly or annual subscription fee that will easily pay for itself in the reduction in time and costs associated with driving to and from the courthouse in Basin.
The site contains the following and more:
- All Track Books including Subdivisions through January, 2020.
All abstract information January 1, 2020 through present is available on our iDoc Market site and includes associated documents from 1976 to present.
- All Grantor/Grantee Books
- Brand Books
- Corner Records through January, 2020 (more recent filings are available on our iDoc Market site)
- Plats and Records of Survey through January, 2020 (more recent filings are available on our iDoc Market site)
- Commissioner Minutes through January, 2021 (more recent minutes are located on the Big Horn County Website)
- All recorded public documents prior to 1976.
Users can easily locate documents, view the detailed indexing information and even view and print the image. All of this from the comfort of any computer with access to the Internet
Typewritten documents on this site are OCR coded and searchable using a wide variety of key word options.
IDoc Market Site
All information is being offered for a nominal daily, monthly or annual subscription fee.
This site contains the most recently recorded documents and more:
All abstract information January 1, 2020 through present is available and includes associated documents from 1976 to present.
Older Abstract information and all documents prior to 1976 are only available on our ArcaSearch Historical research e-commerce site. (see above)
While all attempts are made to ensure the accuracy of information under our control and to correct any errors brought to our attention, no representation or guarantee can be made as to the accuracy of information presented on these sites. All information should be independently verified.
The clerk's publicly available websites are intended for information purposes only. The information available through these sites is not the official record and should not be relied upon for any type of legal action. While the clerk strives to keep the information current and accurate, this information is not official and the clerk will not be responsible for any inaccuracies that may be encountered. Any images copied from these publicly available internet websites have not been certified as being true and correct copies of the instruments filed and recorded with the clerk. Certified copies of these instruments may be purchased upon request. Events may occur which prevent or delay website availability. By using this service, in any form, the user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Big Horn County Clerk and anyone involved in storing, retrieving, or displaying this information from any damage of any type that may be caused by accessing this information over the Internet.